Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Behind the Lens | Practical Effects

Toy Photography is a fun hobby anyone can share their artistic skill in photography using conventional toys as a subject. Almost eleven years ago that interest has been slowly given a spotlight and a renewed interest in the collectible hobby scene. It also gave birth to those who would push the boundaries of this type of interest.

But for the casual ones sometimes it’s a challenge to keep up with what are others doing. Though you don’t need to catch up to those who have established themselves its far noting is to stick what you do and ignore the attention just have fun.


At first doing the art of “Toy Photography” is something you be conscious or unconsciously doing. I myself am still learning and in that I do it as I go shoot some toys hardly the attention of anyone. So while acquiring one of the die-cast cars from Matchbox I immediately has something in mind for this Duk-duk.

For those not into die-cast collecting the Duk-duk is a former amphibious military vehicle from WW II that was refurbished and reused as a civilian vehicle preferably for tourists. Matchbox introduced this new casting for their mainline in 2017, which was one of the uncanny looking vehicles that stood out from the conventional cars.

At first thought as a Toy Photographer my thoughts on this has sprung many ideas how to use it for my photo shoots. It’s an amphibious vehicle so it requires the backdrop to be near the lake or the ocean. Since I live near the beach (not specifically but requires a bus or a bike ride) it was an option to head down Brighton. But when I get there the idea has daunting challenge to portray the subject in a way its “swimming” along the beach.









You can’t cheat on the background and at the same time it’s a bit lazy on my part to just be stuck indoors trying to conjure up unrealistic setting for the subject. Unless you use a space ship a practical background will do. But for this one you need to be outdoors and while at the beach I noticed the waves as being high tide towards the late afternoon that gave me an idea.

The waves are note treacherous but can be a good way to exploit its use. So the Duk-duk was partially buried in the sand near the incoming waves and just waits for it to happen at the same time trying to set up my iPhone.

It’s a trial and error kind of idea but it worked taking lots of shots when the waves started to drive its way to the sand and there I took as many shots as I could to get the right one. The picture quality is imperfect but it’s just right when I finally got the one I need to share. The practical photo made the Duk-duk riding the waves on the way to the shoreline as it appears to be an idea turned reality and there you have as what we call “The Money Shot.”

Do you have any “Behind the Lens” photos that would be interesting to share to other fellow Toy Photographers? You can contribute your write ups and tips just LIKE Toy Photography on Facebook and send a private message to the assigned Admin.

0 comments:

Post a Comment